Head Trainer - Jenn Bishop
I have always had animals in my life and have spent a great deal of time observing and training a variety of different species, including cats, dogs and horses. It was my passion to really understand animals that made me pursue certification as a trainer. I am a member of the Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers and Doggone Safe (see links page). I believe we never stop learning and I am always open to new opportunities to expand my dog-related knowledge.
My goal is to show you the kind of meaningful relationship you can achieve with your canine companions and to teach you how to really listen to your dog.
Some of my training philosophy and beliefs:
- Do no harm. This applies to both dogs and humans. I believe positive reinforcement helps everyone learn faster. Our intention behind training must be to better our relationship and understanding, not to rule with fear of punishment.
- Rewards are entirely determined by the dog. You could offer the finest steak or most expensive toys, but if your dog isn't interested, it is not a reward.
- Ask the dog. They always tell the truth about your training techniques. Let go of ego and listen. It will make you a better trainer and a more empathetic person overall.
- Respect autonomy and recognize what you desire for your dog is probably not the same as what your dog desires.
1st Assistant Trainer - Brody
Brody loves to work. He helps demonstrate technique and is the master of tricks.
A short list of his favourites:
- rear up (on hind legs)
- spin (both directions)
- touch (trees, rocks, people)
- jump (over a leg or another dog)
- high five, wave, shake a paw
- reading (see below if you missed it on the home page)
Forever Missed - Porter
Porter had his own way of doing things but this sweet boy taught me a lot about friendship and what it truly means to share your life with a dog and see them for who they are and not who you want them to be.
He travelled more than most people and took it all in stride. He was kind to everyone he met.
He gave us 14 years of unquestioning loyalty and we will be forever grateful to have had that time together.
Missing you every day.